Re: Release

> Just have a no-content package (ie - control file only) like this:
>
> It would take 5 minutes to build this, and probably considerably
> longer to recompile and repackage the X stuff.  I think this is a much
> cleaner solution.

I disagree strongly.  It is the responsibility of the successors of
packages to be backwards-compatible, so that the new X is responsible
for dealing with the old packages that were compatible with the old X.

I suggest the following solution:

1. We copy the _current_ _as it stands_ XFree86 3.2 into frozen.
***If noone tells me not to do this within 24 hours I will do it.***
This should have been done a week ago, and it is on our critical path !
Wny are we still talking about it rather than doing it ?

2. We announce the public beta immediately 1 has been done.

3. Steve Early or someone else makes the trivial changes to the X
source to fix the dependency problems, rebuilds, and we put that build
into frozen.  This is not hard to do now that the X packages are in
the new source format - it's mostly just a matter of disk space and
machine time.  If Steve is too busy someone else can do it.  Steve,
are you too busy ?  Can you do this within a week or two ?

Ian.