Re: In defense of Suidmanager

Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

> I think dpkg is the wrong place to put the management of those bits
> because the suidbits should be under the control of the maintainer.

They are - the maintainer sets them.

> Some form of script interface is needed which the envisioned dpkg solution
> would not provide.

What actual advantage does this script interface have?  Besides being
a script?

> Another argument for /etc/suid.conf is the very desirable feature to have
> one file which lists ALL files that could be potential security risks.

/var/log/setuid.today

> The system administrator has it much easier if he can just edit a file to
> set up his local policy regarding these issues.

That's what Ian's proposal gives us.  The difference between his and
yours is:

1) package maintainers don't have to do anything differently.

2) The sysadmin only needs to list the files where he overrode the
defaults.

So it's less work for all parties.

Guy