imapd and imap-4

I have really gotten myself into a crunch. I am trying to package imap-4
from sources not involved with pine (same author), and have run into a
problem with the old imapd.
The old imapd both provides and conflicts with imap-server. I have tried
every combination of replaces, provides, and conflicts and none will
install except if the package is build with replaces only. The problem is
that, although it installs the new package it fails to remove the old one.
Does anyone (Ian?) know what I should do to make this work?

Thanks,

Dwarf