Re: Qt's License

> > > Yes, make the commercials pay when it takes commercial development to
> > > create something.  Seems fair to me.
> >
> > Fair does not necessarily mean good.  As a fledgling company, we have
> > very little money to spend.  Thus, our only real option is to write
> > our own or use something truely free.
>
> If you are this hard up, you may be in for tougher times than you expect.

Was there a purpose for this remark?  I know exactly what kind of
times we can expect.

> > If enough companies feel the same way we do, or would prefer to use
> > a different for-pay GUI system over this for-pay one, then Qt will
> > not be very successful.
>
> Here we are, dipping into the Troll license again.  In fact, the license
> states that if you are a commercial AND you wish to make your product
> freely available, then you need only register.  No charge.

First you tell me how tough the times will be because we're short on
funds and then you tell me to make our product freely available!  Ummmm...
Perhaps you should think that one over again.

> FYI, Crynwyr operates on the principle of giving away its products, and
> selling support, so this is a viable way of doing business.  Consumers
> may need some convincing, but freeware mavens and companies using certain
> software may already operate this way.
>
> I'd suggest visiting http://www.troll.no and checking out their license
> agreements and FAQ for yourselves before passing judgment.

I was not aware that I was passing judgement.  I was just saying that
the licence was not the ideal thing just because it was free for free
and pay for pay.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )