dselect configurability (was Re: Galloping Featurism)

Chris Fearnley writes:
>     John and I have
> thought about the issues raised in several of the debian-devel
> discussions and have concluded that dselect needs a menu to set some
> high-level installation parameters.  We have written a sample menu
> config file and a simple parser for it.  Hopefully we can find time
> over the next several weeks to merge this work into dselect.  Here is
> our "selectmenu.cfg":
> [stuff]

This is very interesting.  I'd like to make a few comments:

* grep -i through the source for the string `fixme configurable'.
This marks hard-coded values that I think should be configurable.

* I was planning to add a series of configuration variables which
would be settable using command line options or in an rc file; this is
a fairly easy extension to myopt.[ch].

It seems to me that your menu-based scheme might do well to edit the
rc file.

Ian.