Re: Suid Manager Proposal

'Christoph Lameter wrote:'

>On 22 Nov 1996, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
>
>quinlan >* Unnecessary complication.  What, are you surprised that Red Hat is
>quinlan >  easier to install?  It's designed for everyone.  Debian is being
>quinlan >  designed by developers for themselves and nobody else.  The attitude
>quinlan >  is not "what do people expect or need from my package", but "what
>quinlan >  feature do I need at my site from my package".  How many
>quinlan >  Debian-specific configuration files will it take to satisfy the
>quinlan >  collective creeping featuritis?
>
>RedHat does not have this strong drive to be correct to certain ideals.
>And its more business oriented (practical) it seems.

Maybe we need a redhat-devel mailing list :)

<FLAME>
I just upgraded to the latest sendmail from Red Hat's ftp site for
security reasons.  First rpm -U failed because new .rpms aren't able to
be installed by older versions of rpm.  And nowhere on the 4.0 CD was
there an upgrade package :(  So my system was insecure for an extra two
days until I asked in the Red Hat users list and found the location of
the newer version of rpm that I needed to install before I could
install the latest version of rpm in order to install the secure
sendmail.  Then when this was finally accomplished, sendmail broke
because Red Hat removed my perfectly good sendmail.cf replacing it with
a distribution copy.  Fortunately it saved the original into
.rpmsave.  Urrgh!
</FLAME>

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS