Annoying bug in dpkg-ftp, perl or libc5

Hi!

Please can have someone a look at the bug, already reported somewhere on
our bug list. When I use dpkg-ftp to install packages, I get error
messages like this:

Odd number of elements in hash list at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/install
line 124, <PKGFILE> chunk 1384.
 contrib...

This occurs since I upgraded to the new libc5.4 (now 5.4.7-7) and
perl5.003.07-1. I use dpkg-ftp 1.4.5.

I read a few mails here that other people have the same problem, so it's
not a special configuration issue here.

It would be really nice if this could be fixed _BEFORE_ rex is released!
Brian, please check this. I don't want to tell my friends, that this is
the result of a one-month code freeze! (dpkg-ftp is somehow part of the
Debian core system, so it shouldn't have such a bug).

Well, somehow I think the bug could be in perl when used with the new
libc. Perhaps a memory allocation error. So perl should use a simple
wrapper script and preload the special malloc lib, as Netscape does it,
for example.. (Note I haven't tried this so far.)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,