Re: sudo not suitable for multi-machine systems

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Dennis Clark wrote:

dennis >Umm, isn't this what the host specification in sudoers rules is for?
dennis >A sudoers rule only applies if the current host matches the rule's host
dennis >spec, which can be either a hostname, netgroup, ip address, network
dennis >number, network number/netmask, or host alias (which lets you have a
dennis >list of the above).  Thus you can have different access control
dennis >configurations for different machines on your network, all in the one
dennis >sudoers file.

I need to be able to expand the network by setting up a new machine. And I
dont want to do extensive configurations.

dennis >(I'll admit tho that it'd be nice if a program's suid-bits can be kept
dennis >on upgrades, for the installers who chose to use the suid method after
dennis >the initial package installation)

Look at my suidmanager proposal.

dennis >If package installers need to fight your package to have things work
dennis >the way they like, they're more likely to abandon the package system
dennis >and install from the original sources.  I know I would.

That is true and after all these trouble there is certainly the
consideration to abandon the support for certain packages in favor of
having our own local version.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5