Start kerneld earlier?

Hi,
I was wondering why in Debian the kerneld is started so late? It could
be started even before the local filesystems get mounted, which would
(in my case) remove the need to specify a list of modules that are to
be pre-loaded (like the affs filesystem).

For an example, the german Suse distribution starts it right after activation
of swap and checking of the root partition (and remounting it r/w).
Could we do the same?

I hope I did not hit a point that has been discussed a thousand times
before, without me noticing it..

Frank