Re: Setuid

> Hi,
>
> > > This same thing applied to all packages linked against svgalib, including
> > > ghostscript.
> >
> > What I've done with gs is make it _not_ setuid by default.
>
> svgalib drops SU privileges after init. You only should veryfy, that the
> init functio is the first thing called in the application and you are rather
> safe.

I tried to do that, but the problem is that, if I put the svga_init()
call in gs (as opposed to the wrapper), I don't really know when
gs decides that it is going to output to the VC.

And, if I put the svga_init() call as the first thing in main(),
gs will _always_ say
  Using some svgalib driver
This looks confusing, if gs draws on my X screen.

The other option, making the wrapper setuid root, looked even less
attractive to me: Althought the wrapper knows what device gs wants
to use, I alreadly had one bug in my wrapper (buffer overrun), and
I am quite glad it wasn't setuid then.

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl