Re: Web Standards version 2.3

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

bruce >   know if is WN. We'll have to live with that or hack WN. WN also has
bruce >   a problem in that it wants to write index files in /usr/doc, which
bruce >   should really be a read-only area.

WN cannot access /usr/doc files without indexes. This is not primitive
but an advanced security feature promoted by the author.

bruce >|The system will maintain a directory /var/lib/auto-www/cgi-bin . Each WWW
bruce > server must export this directory as "http://<hostname>/cgi-bin/auto/.
bruce > Data in this directory may be rewritten while the system is
bruce > operating. The WWW server may write its own housekeeping files under
bruce > this directory.

WN cannot cope with cgi-bin executables not in a directory named cgi-bin.
There is no script / wrapper available to redirect requests for WN.

bruce >|The system will maintain a directory /usr/doc . This directory is
bruce > restricted in that it may be on a read-only medium once packages have
bruce > been installed. This is an appropriate place to install program
bruce > documentation and examples that do not need to be re-written while the
bruce > system is operating. Each WWW server must export this directory as
bruce >|"http://<hostname>/auto/doc . The WWW server must treat this
bruce >|as read-only space, and must not write files under this directory.

Why not export this as http://localhost/doc ?

bruce >
bruce >|The system will maintain a directory /usr/lib/auto-www/cgi-bin. WWW
bruce > servers must not directly export this directory. However, symbolic

cgi-bin is the only directory in /usr/lib/auto-www as far as I can see.
Can we rename the directoryu to /usr/lib/cgi-bin ?

Also there were some interesting things mentioned in other proposals such
as index.html file in /usr/doc/package and a way to automatically generate
a www menu which I think is highly desirable.

It seems that the proposal is only compliant with NCSA derivates. So
shall I junk WN?

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5