Application menus on window managers

IMO our experience with install-* programs which modify a central file
is that things go wrong, and that these schemes make it hard for the
sysadmin to reconfigure.

Instead, why don't we have a /etc/app-menu/menu.d directory where
packages can install and remove their menu entries ?  After a package
has done this it can call run-parts /etc/app-menu/updaters.d to get
all the windowmanagers and so forth to rebuild appropriate files in
/var, automatically.

That way we have to write only n+m programs (n= number of apps, m=
number of managers) and the sysadmin can easily fiddle with things.

Ian.