Re: Lars' questions on the 2.1 standard

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Ah, OK, sorry, should have read it better. Question: do all the
> web servers or browsers support .html.gz?  (I don't know whose
> job it would be to uncompress things.) If it goes through dwww,
> then this is not a problem. I've only tested cern and lynx,
> and they work.

	Server Side: If the server's mime file is okay, no problem (works
great with at least NCSA & Apache)

	Browser Side: Under Un*x, most browsers (including Arena, Mosaic &
Netscape) use the system's gunzip and it works; Anyway under Win95 or
System 7, you'll have to download an application to un'gzip the files and
configure your browser to use it.

As a sidenote, apache can be configured to gunzip on the fly...

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -