Re: Debian WWW standards version 2.1

Results of my attempts to get WN to follow these standards:

bruce > Debian will maintain a directory /var/lib/debian-www/cgi-bin . Each WWW
bruce > server must export this directory as "http://<hostname>/cgi-bin/debian/.
bruce > Data in this directory may be rewritten while the system is
bruce > operating. The WWW server may write its own housekeeping files under
bruce > this directory.

cgi-paths for WN MUST end in /cgi-bin debian/cgi-bin would work. The above
does not. I can of course patch WN.

bruce > Debian will maintain a directory /usr/lib/debian-www/documents. This
bruce > directory is restricted in that it may be on a read-only medium once
bruce > packages have been installed. This is an appropriate place to install
bruce > data that does not need to be re-written while the system is operating.
bruce > Each WWW server must export this directory as
bruce > "http://<hostname>/debian/ROM.documents . The WWW server must treat
bruce > this as ROM space, and must not write files under this directory. The
bruce > WWW server is allowed to use any contrivance to make this space
bruce > available. For example, it can provide access to the URL through a
bruce > "virtual path" CGI script, or it can create symbolic links from all of
bruce > the documents in the ROM space to a directory in read-write space.

WN needs to have index files in those hierachies. I need at least to be
able to write files index and index.cache when update-debian-www is
called.

Access to /usr/doc is not possible as far as I can tell. Will study the
manual more.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5