Re: Eli copyright - too restrictive?

Mike Neuffer <mike@i-Connect.Net> wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Mr Stuart Lamble wrote:
>
>> compiler.) The license, from the README, is included below; upon reading it,
>> I get the distinct feeling that Eli would have to go into non-free, if I
>> ever get around to packaging it up. (yes, I should be studying...so sue me,
>> I've had enough for the day :)
>
>I fail to see why this should be too restrictive.

The part that I'm concerned about is below:

(: Under the copyright laws,  the software and documentation
(: enclosed herein may be copied only for normal use of the software or
(: for making a backup copy.

This, to my (untrained in law) eye, looks as if it precludes even packaging
Eli up by the project. 'Course, I could be wrong... :)