Re: colour-ls showing up in dselect

Andy Guy <awpguy@acs.ucalgary.ca> writes:

> I am planning to do something - but do you know the difference between
> --merge-avail and --update-avail?

  dpkg --update-avail <Packages-file>     replace available packages info
  dpkg --merge-avail <Packages-file>      merge with info from file
  dpkg --clear-avail                      erase existing available info

"dpkg --update-avail foo" gives the same result as
"dpkg --clear-avail; dpkg --merge-avail foo".

Since you are installing multiple Packages files, you should either
install only the first with update, or just clear first.

> Prompting for a --clear-avail makes sense.

I just took a look at the disk install method, and it doesn't prompt.
I think you should just do the --clear-avail without prompting,
install all the packages with --merge-avail, and finally do a
dpkg --forget-old-unavail to clean up any obsolete packages.  That's how
disk does it.

While you're at it, two minor nits:

1. On line 195 of install, you set the permissions of the directories
to 0711.  Shouldn't that be 0755?

2. When you prompt for the password in setup, instead do something
like this: "If you're using anyonymous ftp to retrieve your files,
enter your email address for use as a password.  Otherwise enter `?'
and dpkg-ftp will prompt you each time.  (Since the password is stored
in cleartext in a world-readable file, it's inappropriate for dpkg-ftp
to remember a real password.)"

Guy