Re: dpkg-buildpackage problem: diff fails if images changes.

Fabrizio Polacco writes:

-> If I understand well the manuals, for upstream sources packages we have
-> _only_ <package>_<upstream-version>.orig and _not_
-> <package>_<upstream-version>-<debian-release>.orig , because
-> <debian-release> is reserved to the debianized source.

Correct.  The upstream source must change version numbers if it
changes.  For that matter, the upstream source package should only
entail untarring the original source.  No other changes should be made
to the original source (except for moving it into the correct
top-level directory) unless absolutely necessary, like removing suid
bits.

-> I used the <debian-release> number in the upstream source name and I had
-> the uploads rejected because the <debian-release> number disappeared
-> (maybe by dpkg-source) from the source name and it, obviously,
-> conflicted with the previous upload.

The upstream source should be completely independent of the debian
version, so yes, this would be an error.

-> I made my changes only in the debianized tree, but, because the files
-> involved were images and not text, 'diff' complained for that and
-> dpkg-buildpackage stopped. So I thought that I have to move these
-> changes up to the upstream source (ough!) or I have to change the format
-> of the images in the upstream sources to text contents uuencoding them.

The images in the .orig file should be the same as the images in the
tar package they were retrieved from. IMHO, the correct way to handle
this would be to provide, say image.new.uu, and have the debian
"build" target save off the original image and uudecode the new
image.  Of course, the clean target should check for the saved
location of the old image, and return it to it's original location.

Since diff/patch can not represent changes in binary files, there's no
way to diff between the old and new images, and IMHO, either
uuencoding the original or outright replacing it in the .orig tar
would be an error.

Just my .02

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/