Re: Minimal Webstandards

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Chris Fearnley wrote:

cjf >>2. All directories below /usr/lib/httpd have to be mapped into webspace
cjf >>   below the server root by all webservers (does not matter how, could
cjf >>   be symlinks, scriptaliases, whatever the server supports. Could be up
cjf >>   to the webmaster).
cjf >
cjf >The inverse might work better:  /usr/lib/httpd is ServerRoot and only
cjf >/usr/lib/httpd/html/index.html is mapped to some more appropriate
cjf >site-local place.

Hmm. We could have /usr/lib/httpd/local that would point somewhere in /var
where local stuff is. But this means that dpkg takes full control of the
web document root. I dont think that is wise.

cjf >>3. List of some directories (to be extended)
cjf >>	/usr/lib/httpd/cgi-bin
cjf >>	/usr/lib/httpd/icons
cjf >
cjf >I fully agree about these two.  They do not belong in /var.  And
cjf >site-local additions are easy enough to add.
cjf >
cjf >>	/usr/lib/httpd/html
cjf >
cjf >Less clear.  I think most affected packages would need to know where
cjf >DocumentRoot is (so they can set up the appropriate symlinks).  Perhaps
cjf >the inverse approach would resolve this.

What is unclear about it? All webtools that provide html pages that are
considered RO should install them there and not in /var. The html
directory should be mapped into webspace as http://localhost/html (or
somehow symlinked). Packages know where those pages will be.

cjf >I don't think there is need to extend the list.  /var/log/apache and
cjf >/var/cache/squid (and the like) are acceptable to everyone, right?

These are mostly server specific. But we should probably define a
/var/log/httpd where log files are written in a standadized format. There
are tools which analyze the output of webservers and it might be
beneficial to standardize for them.

Let us discuss that later when the basic structure has been agreed upon.

cjf >
cjf >>4. If a user wants to customize a page beyond what the maintainer did
cjf >>   then the page needs to be copied into the root of the real server and
cjf >>   the server should provide some way to override the contents of
cjf >>   /usr/lib/httpd/x/y then. Perhaps some servers do support something like
cjf >>   search paths.
cjf >>   (The last point seems to be quite weak.)
cjf >
cjf >But site configuration is possible and an Integrity among the www
cjf >packages might be attained ... Those are my design criteria anyway.

That is also what I thought. But I dont like the potentiality of huge
symlink trees. The symlinks might be easy to maintain/create though.
I think you can do

ln -s /usr/lib/httpd/html/* /var/web/html

and all the links will be there. So I think that symlinks might be
unavoidable in some situation but I think that is the lesser evil here.

cjf >Incisive clear post.  Well done.

Thanks for the flowers.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5