Re: vcsa permissions

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Why does it need access to /dev/vcsa* ?  What is FTE ?

  /dev/vcsa* are the direct access virtual consoles, I believe.  FTE is a text
editor.  Why it uses /dev/vcsa* and not ncurses or slang, I'll never know.

> If it is likely that other packages which don't run as root will need
> access to these devices then perhaps a group should be created and
> used, but this remains to be seen I think.
>
> Certainly you should not change the ownership of these devices without
> asking permission.

  I've asked bruce@pixar.com to allocate me a group number for the virtual
consoles.  That's the right thing to do, right?  :)

--
  Paul Haggart - phaggart@cybertap.com - /\oo/\ Debian Linux - PGP 0xD61313E9
      "Is all the world jails and churches?" - Rage Against the Machine