Re: Debian 1.2 and .shlibs?

> bcwhite >* Shared libraries should provide ".shlibs" files (???)
>
> Where do I find information on .shlibs? I added sharable library support
> to debmake by generated a DEBIAN/shlibs for the included libraries.
>
> Is that what this is referring to?

Go to  http://insite.verisim.com/search/debian/simple

and look for "shlibs".

Looking through the results, I found the following:

(http://www.debian.org/Documentation/programmer.html/ch-binarypkg.html)
----------------------------------
shlibs
    This file contains a list of the shared libraries supplied by the package, with dependency details for each. This is used by dpkg-shlibdeps
    when it determines what dependencies are required in a package control file.

    Each line is of the form:

    library-name version-or-soname dependencies ...

    library-name is the name of the shared library, for example libc5.

    version-or-soname is the soname of the library - ie, the thing that must exactly match for the library to be recognised by ld.so. Usually
    this is major version number of the library.

    dependencies has the same syntax as a dependency field in a binary package control file. It should give details of which package(s) are
    required to satisfy a binary built against the version of the library contained in the package. See Syntax of relationship fields, section 8.1.

    For example, if the package foo contains libfoo.so.1.2.3, where the soname of the library is libfoo.so.1, and the first version of
    the package which contained a minor number of at least 2.3 was 1.2.3-1, then the package's shlibs could say:

    libfoo 1        foo (>= 1.2.3-1)

    The version-specific dependency is to avoid warnings from ld.so about using older shared libraries with newer binaries.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )