Re: Proposal for a Webdirectory standard

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> All unchangeable files installed by any webtools are put into
> /usr/lib/httpd
>
> Subdirectories of /usr/lib/httpd:
>
> cgi-bin		Cgi bin utilities
> icons		Icons
> html		Html code
>
> The server root can be anywhere but there are aliases in the server
> configuration that map the directories in /usr/lib/httpd into the server
> root.
>
> Default location for webpages that are to be customized
>
> /var/web
>
> Below /var/web there are subdirectories for each virtual server.
>
> /var/web/webspace is the real server
> /var/web/customera the virtual server root for customer A
>
> The subdirectories can be symlinks to some other locations. And thus an
> upgrade of a webtools package might update a file in /var/web/webspace.

No, I totally disagree with this.
This will create another forrest of symlinks.

cgi-bin, graphics directories and html code are too much in flux
to put them under /usr. Imagine mounting this from a ro medium...

Poor Dominik would cry death and destruction.... :-)

I still believe that something like this would be best:

/var/cache                            <--- Here sits your proxy cache
/var/www                              <--- Home of www admin
/var/www/www                          <--- root dir of the main www server
/var/www/www/cgi-bin                  <--- Obvious
/var/www/www/[images,icons,whatever]  <--- Obvious
/var/www/<virtualsite>                <--- Virtual www server. Could be a
                                        link to the customer home www directory
/home/customers/<customer>/www        <--- "Normal" customers www directory
/var/log/www/                         <--- Logfiles reside here
                                           Depending on the capabilities
                                           of the server this could be:
/var/log/www/<virtualsite>/

Where you put the www server binaries doesn't really matter.
Roxen for example resides in:
/usr/local/roxen

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2900                   Beaverton, OR 97008