Re: The Future of Debian's TeX packages

>> The question we should work on is which of them to use.
>> teTeX is the system available for most platforms, i.e. it works on nearly any
>> Unix machine out there and has been selected as the favoured binar
>> distribution of TeX/LaTeX by the CTAN maintainers.
>
>But we would only need to get TeX compile on Debian machines (whatever
>architecture) so this is less important. We would need to recompile
>everything anyway, to apply to our source package standard.

Less important, but still an issue.  TeTeX is getting to be fairly
prevalent these days, it may be useful to have our TeX as compatible
as possible with other TeX's.

>	c) Base Debian's TeX distribution on teTeX but then develop it
>further as we want to.
>
>In addition, perhaps we should write a "Debian TeX Policy Manual" that
>describes they way we want our TeX system to work, where files should go
>(in addition to FSSTND), etc.

I believe both of these ideas are reasonable.

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh@bofh.me.umn.edu			University of MN, ME Dept