Re: sed problems: Inserting a line at the FIRST match only

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I have a problem of inserting a font path into /etc/X11/XF86Config at
> a specific location after the last FontPath statement in the first
> section of XF86Config.
>
> I cannot figure out how to convince sed to only do something at the
> first location and EndSection occurs. Can somebody help me?

kludgy hack time:

    lastfontpath=`grep FontPath /etc/X11/XF86Config | tail -1`

will give the last line containing "FontPath" in lastfontpath.

>From here you can:

1. Search for that with sed - you might need to escape certain chars
like / first (sed -e 's:/:\/:g') - and somehow insert whatever you need
to after that line.

2. cat all lines UP TO 'lastfontpath' to $TMPFILE.0
   put whatever you need to in $TMPFILE.1
   cat all lines AFTER 'lastfontpath' to $TMPFILE.2
   cat $TMPFILE.0 $TMPFILE.1 $TMPFILE.2 > /etc/X11/XF86Config
   rm -f $TMPFILE.0 $TMPFILE.1 $TMPFILE.2

Craig