Re: new kernel/boot builders

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Mike Neuffer wrote:

> Otherwise you will not be able to insmod the eata-dma, aic7xxx,
> ncr53c8xx, advansys or BusLogic drivers.

speaking of ncr53c8xx, i discovered yesterday that /etc/init.d/boot runs
fsck BEFORE loading modules.

Which means that on a system such as I have at home (IDE boot drive,
plus SCSI drives for data & swap), compiling the scsi driver as a module
prevents the system from booting. when fsck can't find the devices for
the scsi mounts, it runs sulogin

i fixed it by hacking /etc/init.d/boot and moving the section which
loaded the modules to be just before the fsck. I expect that my hack
will be trashed the next time i do an upgrade which overwrites the boot
script.

(why did i want to do this? because there are two available drivers for
ncr scsi cards and i want to check out which is better - compiling it as
a module seemed to be the 'most elegant' way of doing it)

Craig