Re: Questions regarding the base system

'Christoph Lameter wrote:'

>On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
>bruce>It would be fine for it to ask if root/postmaster mail should be sent to
>bruce>a "remote" address rather than a local user, but can it deliver the mail
>bruce>there before any other packages are installed? I don't think so. The
>bruce>alternative is to send it into a black hole, which I'm not so happy with.
>How about delaying all mail until the mail package is installed and a user
>created? There is no point in sending e-mail on a minimal system and so
>there is really no reason for a user to exist and thus for adduser in the
>base system. dpkg-ftp could also be removed from the base together with
>perl if there would be some script that installs a predefined sequence of
>packages via dpkg to generate the full current base from a minimal base.

Regarding changing mail alias support in base:  Be careful that you
don't break the smail and sendmail packages which probably depend on
the current way of doing things.  I.e., test it on a blank system and
see if installing smail can cope with the new approach (repeat for
sendmail).  I fear that it will be too time consuming to properly test
such radical changes to the base system.  But maybe you're unemployed :)
Anyway, Be careful!

PS.  I really like the way the base system works.  There are a few
bugs and much room for improvement, but I think Bruce did an excellent
job.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS