Re: Questions regarding the base system

'Lars Wirzenius wrote:'

>Of these, only dpkg and ldso are in base. I'm pretty sure dpkg
>comes with commands that require perl, and that it isn't realistic
>to rewrite in sh (note that awk is not in base).

Awk has been in base ever since I remember.  One of the criteria of
Debian is to make the base install (or is it base + standard?) support
all programs that any user with experience with UNIX will expect.  Awk
qualifies and so it must either be installed in base (as it currently
is) or in the first dselect run (which selects all standard packages?).

[I should check my facts with policy.html, but didn't :(  ]

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS