Re: Questions regarding the base system

Bruce Perens:
> I see. The pre-inst and post-inst scripts of many packages require Perl,
> as well. Probably some of those packages are in the base.

$ find /var/lib/dpkg/info -name '*inst' | xargs grep -lw perl
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dpkg.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dpkg.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ldso.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/netstd.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/smail.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/smail.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/perl.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sudo.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fvwm2.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/inn.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/wenglish.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/at.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/kernel-package.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/netpbm.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/wswedish.postinst
$

Of these, only dpkg and ldso are in base. I'm pretty sure dpkg
comes with commands that require perl, and that it isn't realistic
to rewrite in sh (note that awk is not in base).