Re: inn & suck outgoing news

You (Kenneth MacDonald) wrote:
> I'm using the `get-news` script which comes with suck_3.2.1-2 to
> exchange news between my university's nntp server and my local inn
> setup.  There are a couple of points I'd like to raise about this
> combination.
>
> First of all, inn is marking the incoming (sucked) articles for
> outgoing back to the remote server next time I ppp up.  These are of
> course rejected by the remote server, being duplicates of what it
> already has, but this negotiation takes a significant amount of time.
> Is this something wrong with my inn setup?

I can answer this one. Yes, something is wrong in your setup. Check the
raw articles and see what the remote site puts in the Path: header.
You should add this as an alias to (or as the name of) the entry for
your provider in /etc/news/newsfeeds.

For example, I get my news at home with UUCP. The name of the UUCP
site is alphen, but the news server puts "news.cistron.nl" in the
header. So the entry for "alphen" looks like this:

alphen/news.cistron.nl:*,!junk/!local:Tf,Wnm:

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/