cfgtool 1.0 -- alea iacta est

I rewrote the data storage part of cfgtool. It now stores all
variables in one file, to avoid wasting storage. The one file
is a binary file, which is not very nice, but it should be a
portable one, assuming 8 bit chars and character sets and so on.

I append the manual page.

It's not a good idea to use this until after Debian
1.2 is released. I'm not going to upload it to master
before that.  If you want to play with it, fetch it from
<http://www.iki.fi/liw/programs/>. There's the usual Debian
files. Report bugs directly to me. Thanks.

If someone wants to have a go at writing a user interface
that lets an admin more easily view and modify the variables,
don't hesitate to start now.

NAME
       cfgtool - manipulate system configuration variables

SYNOPSIS
       cfgtool	[--create  variable  value]  [--destroy variable]
       [--get variable] [--set variable value] [--get-help  vari­
       able]  [--set-help  variable helpfile language] [--is-true
       variable]  [--is-false	variable]   [--exists	variable]
       [--lock] [--unlock] [--locked] [--list-all] [--create-all]
       [--set-all]  [--repository  directory]  [--init-repository
       directory]

DESCRIPTION
       cfgtool	manages	a database of system configuration vari­
       ables.

       This should not be used to configure application type pro­
       grams.	Applications  should  use their own configuration
       file, because cfgtool is not portable.

OPTIONS
       --init-repository data-directory lock-direcotry
	      Create and initialize the	repository.   The  data-
	      directory is created, the lock-directory must exist
	      or be the same as the data one.

       --get variable
	      Print value of variable to stdout.

       --set variable value
	      Set value of variable to value  The  variable  must
	      exist.

       --create variable value
	      Create  a	new  variable and set its initial value.
	      It is not	an  error  for	the  variable	to  exist
	      already.	If it does, nothing happens; the value of
	      the variable is not changed.

       --destroy variable
	      Destroy a variable.

       --set-help variable helpfile language
	      Set description of variable in some given language.
	      English  is "en".	Note that LANG is not obeyed for
	      this option.

       --get-help variable
	      Output description of variable to stdout.	LANG  is
	      obeyed.

       --is-true variable
	      Check  whether  variable	exists	and  contains the
	      value "yes".  Don't output anything, just	set  the
	      exit code.

       --is-false variable
	      Opposite of --is-false: condition is true, if vari­
	      able exists and contains the value "no"  (actually,
	      any value but "yes").

       --lock Lock variable repository.	This is needed only when
	      you need to lock the repository over several  invo­
	      cations of cfgtool.  The repository is locked auto­
	      matically, if it hasn't already been locked, but an
	      implicit lock is also removed automatically.  Avoid
	      locking the repository for long periods of time.

       --unlock
	      Unlock variable repository.

       --locked
	      The variable repository was locked  by  an  earlier
	      process, but we own the lock.  This prevents creat­
	      ing an implicit lock.  If we  created  an	explicit
	      lock  with  --lock already, the implicit lock fails
	      and then the whole operation fails.  This	must  be
	      the  first  option,  except for --repository, if it
	      used at all.

       --list List all existing variable names, one per line.

       --exists variable
	      Test whether a variable exists.

       --list-all
	      Output octet stream to  stdout  that  contains  all
	      variables in repository.

       --create-all
	      Read octet stream from stdin and create all missing
	      variables.

       --set-all
	      Read octet stream from stdin and create or set  all
	      variables.

       --repository directory
	      Use directory as the repository, instead of default
	      location.	Must be first.

ENVIRONMENT
       LANG   Language	for  help  files,  when	reading   them.
	      Default is "en" for English.