Re: Questions regarding the base system

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> dwarf>As I remember, the user is created to provide a "person" to send mail to
> dwarf>regarding any installation problems.
> It is better to send that mail to root. That is the classical approach
> expected.

Obviously cron-generated mail, etc., is sent to root.

What Dale is referring to is smail's config which tries to setup an
alias of root -> some user.  By default it picks the first user listed
which is most likely the user created by base's install.

smail's behavior is reasonable, but the install script should provide
some way of not running adduser, with an appropriate caution so that
the novice user doesn't go this route.

Guy