Re: tcsh package

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Guy Maor wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Vadik V. Vygonets wrote:
> > [deleted]
> > 1. To put tcsh binary in /bin (reason: there are people who use tcsh
> >    as roots and have remote /usr).
> > 2. To make a symbolic link from /usr/bin to /bin/tcsh (reason:
> >    debian backward compatibility).
>
> That's pretty reasonable.  Be sure to make the link relative -
> `../bin/tcsh', not `/bin/tcsh'.

IMHO, it's better to do an _absolute_ symbolic link (like /bin/tcsh),
because the /usr partition may be mounted, and it may even be mounted
under another name and /usr (or /usr/bin) may be just a symbolic link on
it.

> > 3. To make a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin to /bin/tcsh (reason:
> >    compatibility with other Unices).
>
> Absolutely not.  That would be a violation of the FSSTND.

Well, after several people told me this [reasonable] thing, I decided to
document it.  If one needs it, he'll put it there himself.

> Another issue is that the FSSTND says that /bin/csh should be a
> symbolic link to tcsh iff it's available.  But since we have two csh
> packages, tcsh and csh, we should use alternatives.  So use
> update-alternatives to make /bin/csh point to your tcsh.  Read
> programmer's manual 10 for more details.

I will :)

> Guy

Be-toda,
Vadik.

Vadik V. (_`    vadik@arbornet.org  http://www.arbornet.org/~vadik/
Vygonets (_.lf  For PGP public key, email me with sibject "get pgpkey"
Linux hackers are funny people: They count the time in patchlevels.