Re: tcsh package

>On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> Not under under circumstances. /usr/local is sacred. If tcsh is
>> important enough to have a link in /usr/local/bin, so are bash,
>> emacs, gcc, and fileutils.
>
>Well, it's sure sacred, but I think it won't hurt much to put there
>one symbolic link, because if you have a network with linux boxen
>and other unices, say, Suns, FreeBSD boxen and SGIs, the sysadmin
>will probably set users' shells as /usr/local/bin/tcsh.  Or is it
>better to document it and the sysadmin will set the link himself?

Just document it and have the sysadmin set the link if s/he wants it.

1. /usr/local shouldn't be touched.  It's 'local', and the package
maintainer doesn't know what's there.  What if I already (for any
number of reasons) had a tcsh there?

2. Right now, /usr/local is a network mounted directory, and for added
safety it is mounted ro.  I already have a bit of a pain upgrading
emacs since it wants to diddle around making directories that already
exist...

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh@bofh.me.umn.edu			University of MN, ME Dept