Re: Applications menu for Fvwm

Philippe Troin:
> We'll be faced with the same problem as with /etc/skel.... What about
> if users copy the wm file and modify it (which is quite common) ?

This is already solved by /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc. Users
shouldn't need to copy it, unless they do something really
complicated. Users do not need ~/.fvwm2rc to customize their
Debian fvwm2 setup anymore. Read /usr/doc/fvwm2/debian.README.sysrc.gz
for more info.

> I suggest using a meta comment, like this:
> 	#---DEBIAN-UPDATE-CONFFILE---

That is the wrong solution. Trust me. It only leads to problems
when people delete the line by mistake.

> Additionnaly, what about the existing installed Debian base ? We must
> think about a roadmap...

They'll have to delete their ~/.fvwm2rc to make use of the new
fvwm2 setup. Then they need to re-customize their system, by
creating suitable files in ~/.fvwm2/ but that only needs to be
done once.

If they need to share their fvwm2 setup with another system,
they need to do some magic that uses system.fvwm2rc on Debian
and copy it to ~/.fvwm2rc when using the other system. (Assuming
they can't get the other site to adopt the Debian system.fvwm2rc,
of course.)