Re: Shared libraries in packages. How?

Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com> wrote:
>'Yves Arrouye wrote:'
>>
>>   Hi,
>>   I have recently made the package compface (can be found in unstabe)
>>   containing the shared library libcompface. Now I am trying to make
>>   a package xfaces that uses this library. But I can't get
>>   dpkg-shlibdeps working. This is what is
>>   says:
>>
>>   # dpkg-shlibdeps xfaces
[dependancy information missing for libXpm and libm]

>>   libs belong, and why can't dpkg-shlibdeps find them?
>
>You forgot to install the shlibs file into debian/tmp/DEBIAN.  It's
>all in the programmers (or policy) manual.  I forgot my first time
>too!

That's the first part. There's also a dpkg conffile somewhere in /etc
(sorry, forgotten where exactly, and what) which contains dependancy
info for libc, libm, libncurses, etc. - ie, a large number of common
libraries. This came with (IIRC) dpkg 1.4.0, and should be in 1.4.0.1
as well. (If it isn't, it's a bug in 1.4.0.1.)

This should, hopefully, be redundant once the maintainers of these
libraries bring their packages up to the 2.1.1.0 packaging requirements.
(libelf should be ready RSN - once I get a response to my queries about
soname requirements and the Replaces: libc5, or, failing that, the middle
of next week. Other than those, it's ready to upload.)