Problems with dselect...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 00:50:32 -0400
From: Jon Lewis <jlewis@INORGANIC5.FDT.NET>
To: Multiple recipients of list SERVER-LINUX <SERVER-LINUX@NETSPACE.ORG>
Subject: Re: Out of ptys

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> Stop right there. This is a list for SERVER's. Format your hard drive and
> install RedHat http://www.redhat.com or Debian http://www.debian.org

Since traffic has been relatively sparse, I hope people won't mind a
slightly off-topic followup.

Is it just me, or is the Debian distribution's install system (dselect)
horribly user unfriendly?  I had to setup a new linux box for a friend a
few days ago, and thought it would be a perfect chance to try out Debian.
Having no time for look for an RTFM, I just jumped in, made the necessary
boot and install floppies, booted them, installed the "base system" and
tried installing the rest.  That's where things went downhill real fast.

Getting dselect to install the packages I wanted was a real pain...it kept
bitching at me about dependancies and requirements, and the end result was
my booting slackware and installing slackware 3.1.

One day, when I have some spare time, I'll go looking for the manual
(assuming there is one) on dselect, so I can try again...or maybe I should
give Red Hat another shot.  I tried it briefly over a year ago, and hated
it.  I like/respect a lot of the Debian developers though...so I think I'd
be happer with it, if I could just install the darn thing.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______