Re: /usr/local (again)

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) wrote:
[snipped]
>Ouch!
>
>What I object to is another question in the postinst. I installed several
>Debian systems last week, and there were too many questions - the effect
>was that you could not let the installation run unattended. What's worse,
>some maintainers have placed questions in the pre-install script - and
>then you get questions all during the installation instead of just at the
>end.

[...]

Just a suggestion (and probably not a very good one): where a package needs
to ask a question, perhaps it'd be appropriate to have a script
postinst.questions (or some such) which can be run after all the other
packages have been installed and configured? At least that way, all the
questions would bombard you at once, instead of halting installation
halfway through.

By all means, shoot me down in flames if you want to. :-)

(As an incidental aside, the reason I've got a question in the fsp postinst
is that it didn't make a great deal of sense to split fsp into two packages
- fspclient and fspserver, say - when the server is only about 30kB. If
that is wrong, by all means let me know, and I'll correct it; it would be
one way of getting rid of at least one postinst question :-)