Re: dpkg-buildpackage and -source questions

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> If you get this message:
>
> dpkg-source: error: tarfile `./exmh_1.6.9.orig.tar.gz' contains object with newline in its name (exmh-1.6.9.orig/?exmh-1.6.9.orig/exmh.README?exmh-1.6.9.orig/COPYRIGHT?exmh-1.6.9.orig/e...(rest of output deleted)
>
> You should upgrade your cpio.  Unfortunately the (Debian-specific)
> change that I'm relying on wasn't documented in any changelog file, so
> I don't know which versions are OK, but I do know that 2.4.2-2 works.

This resolved the problem for me. At least at this point I can unpack
hello ok. Shouldn't dpkg have a depends added for this? I have not
understood your reluctance to add depends for patch and diff as well. If
they really aren't dependencies, souldn't they be recommended or
suggested? If not there should, at least be some mention of their
usefulness in the description somewhere.

Thanks for the help,

Dwarf