Re: dselect/dpkg & multiple versions

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Brian C. White wrote:

> The reason I bring this up is that there are now several package that are
> _intentionally_ in the distribution multiple times with different versions:
>
>   Debian-1.1-fixed/binary-i386/text/gs_2.62-2.deb
>   non-free/binary/gs_4.01-2.deb

This is the only intentional duplication.  Some discussion is pending
on whether to rename one of them.

>   Debian-1.1-fixed/binary-i386/text/gsfonts_2.62-2.deb
>   non-free/binary/gsfonts_3.53-3.deb
>
>   Debian-1.1-fixed/binary-i386/tex/lyx_0.9.23-1.deb
>   contrib/binary/lyx_0.10.1-1.deb

These duplications are temporary.  The new Alladin gsfonts will soon be
in the main distribution as it can be.  And lyx has moved to contrib.
There's a bug pending on ftp.debian.org for me to correct the packages
that have moved out of the main distribution in buzz.

> These are already causing a bit of a problem with 'dftp' and I'm wondering
> if they are/will cause problems with dselect/dpkg.

I suggest you use dpkg-ftp instead of dftp.

Guy