Re: /usr/local (again)

Dominik Kubla <kubla@netz.klinik.uni-mainz.de> writes:

> I second that! AMOF i did bring that up some time ago, but somehow we
> couldn't find a common policy.

I was under the impression that either:

a) The package would ask about touching /usr/local the first time it
was installed.  After that it would know better :>

b) The package would provide a small script "foo-pkg-setup-local" that
could be run by hand to set up /usr/local.

c) There would be an /etc/usr-local or /etc/default/usr-local file that
would indicate what should always be done about /usr/local/ for this
machine.

I sort of thought we had settled on (a).  Although I would normally
expect /usr/*local* to be local, I don't see any reason not to be
friendly to unusual setups especially in the case of (c) where it
doesn't cost anything, assuming the base package puts in a reasonable
default.

(Plus there's always the restriction from the file system standard
that /usr/local be left alone.)

--
Rob