Re: Releases other than by the package maintainert

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > Seems very right to me.  But I would like to add the following to it.
> >
> > When mainstream is updated, hello-1.3 -> hello-1.4
> > Non-usual-maintainer updates, hello-1.3-8 -> hello-1.4-0.1
> > Usual-maintainer updates, hello-1.3-8 -> hello-1.4-1
> >
> > Usual-maintainer should never use -0 for revisions.
> > And if we agree on this, it should be mandated in the manual.
>
> I think this seems reasonable.  I propose to mandate it.
>
> Any objections, considerations ?

Doesn't this open up the file naming question again.  I.e. before we
could say definitively that

xxx_yyy-zzz.aaa

meant package xxx, uppstream yyy, and debian revision zzz with the aaa
stuff being the deb/tar.gz/diff.gz stuff (did I get that right?).
Doesn't the extra dot separated field invalidate this heuristic?  Or
is that just the wrong heuristic?

Just wanted to make sure we could still parse file names easily.  I
know that most of the time the info should be gathered from the
package itself, but there are times when using the name is extremely
helpful.

--
Rob