Re: Shared library dependencies revisited

> I propose the following arrangement (if you don't understand things
> you should read dpkg-source(1) and the relevant parts of the new
> programmers' manual):
>
> Every package which contains compiled binaries invokes, in its
> debian/rules, a program which automatically determines what the
> dependencies are.  Eg,
>   dpkg-shlibdeps -fPre-Depends main/dpkg dselect/dselect
> This produces on stdout something like
>   shlib-Pre-Depends=libc5 (>= 5.2.18-2), ncurses3.0 (>= 1.9.9e-1)
> (The -fpre-depends option can be -fDepends, -fRecommends or even
> -fSuggests to specify a particular level of dependency, and
> -f... options can be mixed with binary arguments).

And what about packages that depend on *one* particular version of a
library? I know of one library which will cause trouble, namely libslang.
This library changes every minor version update so that programs compiled
with earlier versions will not work (I'm not into shared libs, but I think
I'm correct if I say that the ABI changes not only with .so-name changes).

Maarten

| Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL  |
|   boekhold@cindy.et.tudelft.nl boekhold@gopher.library.tudelft.nl   |