Re: Documentation formats

Rob Browning writes:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:
>
> > I don't think we have free software packaged to do full text searches.
> > We have glimpse and ferret, neither of which is free. There's something
> > that is part of freeWais, but I haven't looked at it yet. Someone with
> > the time should find and package one. It should be usable from the
> > command line so that it can easily be integrated into Debiandoc.
>
> It'd be nice to have something like altavista, that could generate a
> page containing a (heirarchical) list of the references found.

The search program ht://Dig (which has an admittedly odd name) comes with the
GNU general public license.  Its home page is:
         http://htdig.sdsu.edu/

Also, there's been a Javascript on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
that uses the Altavista search engine to search only your own site.
(Seems like exploiting rather than excluding robots.)

Regards,
Susan Kleinmann