Re: xpdf needs an entry in mailcap

>   Brian>  If you put the "if" clause around the calls to "install-mime", then
>   Brian> you don't have to actually depend on 'mime-support'.
>
> That is correct. But would I want this? Now that we have mime-support,
> shouldn't I depend on it? It really is a useful feature. I find it reasonable
> to enfore this via Depends. Otherwise it fails silently and we gain nada.

I think it should depend on it, yes.  I just wanted to make sure you
knew
it wasn't strictly necessary.

In the past, some people have complained about depending upon packages
that
aren't strictly necessary.

> BTW: I currently use what you posted earlier as calls to install-mime, but
> added a ">/dev/null" as I don't like the verbosity too much. As the output of
>         # grep install-info /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.postrm | grep -v quiet
> is empty on my machine, I think you should add a switch --quiet.

I can add the --quiet option, but you must not redirect the output.
"install-mime" can become interactive if it encounters a conflict, and
with no stdout this would cause problems.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

    In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're
not.