Re: Replaces: and virtual packages?

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Yves Arrouye wrote:

> I thought having a package with
>
>         Provides: compress
>         Replaces: compress
>
> would be like
>
>         Provides: compress
>         Conflicts: compress
>
> except that the conflict will not appear and I hoped that when the package
> was installed any previous package providing compress would be removed
> first.

No, that's not true.  You need both conflicts and replaces to get the
old package uninstalled.

> Obviously it does not work. Is this because of virtual packages, or did
> I not understand Replaces:?

The later I think.  A replaces B means package A replaces files from
package B.  replaces and conflicts together is a special case - the
package will be uninstalled automatically.  That's useful for package
renaming or for obsolete packages that are folded into another
package.  For example, fileutils conflicts and replaces with color-ls.

Guy