On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Yves Arrouye wrote:

> Hello,
> I thought having a package with
>         Provides: compress
>         Replaces: compress
> would be like
>         Provides: compress
>         Conflicts: compress
> except that the conflict will not appear and I hoped that when the package
> was installed any previous package providing compress would be removed
> first.
> Obviously it does not work. Is this because of virtual packages, or did
> I not understand Replaces:?
As I understand it, from talking with Ian, Provides/Conflicts is to be
used when you wish your package to be the only one providing the given
feature. I think that Provides/Replaces is not that strict in it's
implimentation. That is, it will allow other packages to be in the system
with this feature.