epoch?? how to make squid-1.0.5 > squid-1.0beta16

I compiled squid 1.0.5 last night and made a new package for it, but when
i installed it with dpkg on my system i got a warning message about
"downgrading to earlier version due to --force".

which means that dselect can't be used to upgrade this package because it
won't do the forced "downgrade".  I don't want to upload the new package
until this is fixed.

I seem to recall some discussion a few months back about an "Epoch" header
or something like that which could be used to get around this problem.

Was epoch implemented?  How do I use it?

(note for those waiting on a new version of squid: i probably wont get
time to finish this off now until the end of the week.)

Craig