Re: my $0.02 about release numbers.

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Emilio Lopes wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Follows my opinion about the subject:
>
>we should have a debian-1.1 dir, which won't ever change. While 1.2 is
>not released, new packages go to pre-release-1.2 and bugfixes go to
>bug-fixes-1.1.
>
>When 1.2 get release there will be a debian-1.2 dir and also an
>update-1.2 dir which should contain links to all packages that have
>changed since 1.1.
>
>With this scheme, a major and a minor version numbers seems to be
>enough.

pre-release 1.2 should be codenamed and accessed by a pre-release-1.2
symlink to simplify the massive mirror copying issue when it's renamed
to debian-1.2 (or debian-2.0, or whatever we release it as).  Then,
when we create another codenamed directory and point a pre-release-1.3
symlink at that, I think we end up with the currently proposed scheme.
That being the case, it makes sense to structure the debian-1.1 access
arrangement so that it also follows that scheme.