Re: "buzz" created

[ Note: I read this mailing list.  There is no need to CC me on replies,
  unless it is _really_ urgent.  I pay for my PPP connections.  Thanks. ]

Kevin Dalley:
> It will be difficult to have a specific numbered release 1.2.x, unless

First, I doubt we need a three level version number.  Debian won't
make releases that often.  Two levels is enough (major number changes
when there are major changes in the distribution -- such as support
for multiple architectures or support for RPM's -- and the minor number
changes every three months).

Second, there's no difficulty.  The release has a version number, the
updates or fixes do not, precisely because it would be too silly to have
a new release number for every new package.

There will be people running `plain 1.1' and `1.1 with foo, bar, and baz
from the release-updates directory'.  (There's also going to be people
running `0.93 with most of the base in 1.1 and a lot of local hacks', but
those people tend to take care of things for themselves. :)

> I don't want those changes going out as stable until some amount of
> time has passed.

This is why I think we're going to have a test period (`code freeze')
before making a release.  A period when only bug fixes (and, possibly,
new packages) will be placed in the soon-to-be-a-release directory.
(Other packages will presumably put on hold or put into the
next-release-after-the-next-release-directory.)

(Note: Upon re-reading the above, I find that I'm sounding a bit too
authoritative.  I'm not.  I haven't even produced a single package yet,
since I'm waiting for 1.1 to happen first.  All this is based on how I've
understood things are going to work, and colored by how I would like them
to work.)

--
Lars Wirzenius,
i-do-not-want-any-unsolicited-commercial-or-uncommercial-email@iki.fi