Re: Keeping non-free separate

Bruce Perens:
> Yes, but it's no problem to look at the stuff in that directory and
> decide what's free for your country, and put that stuff on your CD.

Except that most CD manufacturers probably won't bother :-(.

> There was a CD manufacturer (who will remain unnamed) who put a
> non-working Debian 1.0 prototype on his CD without checking - for example
> he didn't try to install it on a system. Said CD manufacturer _did_,
> however, avoid placing the non-free directory on his CD. So non-free
> works for people who don't check. In contrast, when I made my own CD, I

Well, maybe implementing my proposal would help eliminating such CD
manufacturers.  If there is a document which clearly lists non-free
packages, and they don't care what they put on their CD, it's their
problem if they get sued - they deserve what they get :-).

> checked the licenses on the non-free programs, and put most of them on
> my CD after I verified that I could do so. So non-free works for people
> who _do_ check.

Which pakages?  If you verified them, maybe they should be moved out
of non-free?  (I am fairly positive that zip and unzip are free, since
I asked the upstream authors about this and received a reply that they
didn't even realize there was a problem; they say they have no problem
with us distributing their software.)

Regards,

Marek