Re: Package names

Dirk Eddelbuettel writes:
 >   Martin> I'm totally confused now.  Shall new uploads (i.e. bugfixes) use
 >   Martin> the underscore as delimiter betwen the name of the package and the
 >   Martin> version or do we stay on the old way until 1.1 is released?
 >   Guy>  It doesn't matter.  dinstall will rename them to the right thing.

 > It does matter. As Bruce pointed out yesterday, debian.rules should
 > build the Right Thing.
 > So? What is the recommendation? Use dpkg-name from dpkg-1.2.6?
I (Erick) recommend that debian.rules contains the following line:

dpkg --build debian-tmp && dpkg-name -o -s .. debian-tmp.deb

This will give the binary file(s) the proper underscore name.
It will leave the .tar.gz and the .diff.gz files untouched.
The current dchanges (version 3.4) will not accept this, IMHO it
should be changed to accept this.

If we want all files to follow the underscores convention, much more
rewriting of .debian.rules needs to be done this time and again at
the next time of a filename change (I hope this will not happen).
or
dchanges should accept all kinds of names and rename them to the
proper naming, this isn't trivial.

Erick